Choose from 4 Fun Things to Do in Fiordland Milford Sound
- Weather in Fiordland National Park can be temperamental, especially around the fjords, so be prepared for wind and rain—even in summer.
- If you’re hiking, remember to wear comfortable shoes and bring plenty of water and snacks, as there are limited places to purchase supplies.
- There is no public transportation within the park, so you’ll need to join a tour if you don’t have your own transport.
- Cell phone coverage is limited, but free Wi-Fi is available at the Fiordland National Park Visitor Center.
- Some cruises and attractions are wheelchair accessible but not all activities within the park are accessible to those with limited mobility, so it’s best to check in advance.
Stunning Lake Manapouri surrounded by the majestic Cathedral Ranges and dotted with thirty-four islands, is beautiful and impressive. The mountains, which make up the north, south and west sides of the lake, descend into the water creating lovely waterfalls and isolated sandy coves perfect for swimming and picnics.
The small town of Manapouri (pop. 300) lies on the east coast and is the major jumping off point for people heading to Doubtful Sound as it can be reached by boat from the Waiau River which feeds the lake.
There are a number of walking tracks around the lake, including the well known Manapouri Track which leads you up Mt. Titiroa to take in the beautiful lake views before finishing with a swim in the lake. Lesser known walks include Percy’s Pass and Dusky Track.
Fishing is also popular on the lake and suits the experienced and novices alike. If you’re after a workout then kayaks are available depending on the weather.
The lake is outside your door if you’re in Manapouri, otherwise it is a 15 minute drive from Te Anau or 2.5 hour drive from Queenstown.
- The weather in Doubtful Sound can be unpredictable, so prepare for wind and rain even in summer.
- If hiking, wear comfortable shoes and bring water and snacks—there are limited places to purchase supplies.
- Cell phone coverage is limited, but free Wi-Fi is available at the Fjordland National Park Visitor Center.
- Most Doubtful Sound cruises are wheelchair accessible, but not all activities within Fiordland National Park are accessible to those with limited mobility, so it’s best to check in advance.